Friday, June 11, 2010

Bad Sir. Sneaks-a-lot!

Hi! Do I have a story for you!!!

So on Wednesday Simon and I got home from work and Simon was lighting the bbq (which we had left outside- its a hibachi- and was filled with earwigs cause it was sitting on the driveway..) so I went to check out my garden... I saw the plants that I had started from seed first and I noticed that the nice big broccoli plant that I was so proud of and was going to transplant very soon, was missing all its leaves!! I just figured an animal ate them cause it was just sitting on the ground with no protection...

So I called Simon over and together we walked down to the garden to check out the rest of the vegetables... Well weren't we surprised to find Sir. Sneaks-a-lot (our pet name for the groundhog who frequents our backyard- usually nibbling on the weeds and long grass) IN OUR GARDEN!!!!
This was a big deal since we kind of built a barrier around the garden with wood and that plastic netting stuff... I was very angry and worried cause sir sneaks-a-lot was stuck in the garden and was panicking cause we were there and he couldn't get out!!! Simon finally undid the plastic and he escaped! I hope we gave him the fright of his life and that he'll think twice before coming back to our garden!!!!
Here's the damage...

BEFORE
Yellow beans, but this was taken
a while back so they were bigger than this!



AFTER!
I guess he decided to leave us 2..




BEFORE
really nice looking brocolli plants
(from the store)


AFTER...
unrecognisable green sticks coming up from the dirt :(




I was very sad and very angry! We had befriended these animals and they betrayed us!!! I'm not sure what to do now... Any ideas? Will these plants grow again, or do I need to start over? I'm thinking of making a scare crow to put in the garden cause all the animals are scared of us...

It makes me sad just looking at these pictures.. I haven't been out to the garden since this happened.. and usually I'm out there every night..

1 comment:

  1. I don't know what to do about groundhogs, but animals just do what comes naturally. We have deer here, eating everything except what's thoroughly fenced off. They even eat things that are not on their approved diet list. I'm trying to grow some dahlias for the wedding and was told deer definitely don't eat them. Well, my little shoots are being eaten from the ground, so they are now covered with mesh.

    I don't know what to suggest for your groundhog - maybe ask at a garden center.

    It can get depressing, I know.

    ReplyDelete