Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Day 8 - A photo of you as a baby


Awwww... Aren't I cute?? 

I know these are super "baby" pictures, but I like them so here you are!
 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


In other news...
I'm much less stressed/busy than I was last week, so I've been making some creative dinners again! Simon and I had the problem of running to the grocery store every couple nights to get something for dinner/lunch or whatever, but lately we've been trying just to do one big shop a week (it also helps that Metro has a deal where when you spend $50 you get 50 Airmiles!) So I in turn have been trying to be creative by using the food that we have in the house for dinners! It seems easy, but sometimes it's not so easy!! I have also been more creative in the sense that I'm trying to use recipes less, or use them more as a "guideline" for my cooking. So here are some of the things I've made this week!

Monday: Avocado Risotto and Fiesta Chicken

 

I've been doing what I like to call "Risotto Monday's" for about 3 weeks now, and this week I decided to do 1/2 c rice and 1/4 c quinoa! I also bought a bag of 5 avocados that I thought would take much longer to ripen than they did, so I needed to use them up, and fast! I found a recipe online for Avocado risotto. So what you see here is the plain risotto (made just with chicken stock, as you would normally make risotto) and then the avocado salsa is on the side, but I mixed it in with my rice after this picture. I didn't mix it with the entire pot of risotto cause Simon mentioned he didn't really like avocados a couple nights ago. He liked this! And he ate it! I really like the texture of avocado :) Like butter in my mouth, but so much better for me than just eating soft chunks of butter! Then I just baked chicken breast with homemade canned salsa and cheese. 

Tuesday: Wonton soup (!!!)


Yummmm!!!! This was sooooo gooood! I could barely  believe it! I love wonton soup, but I had never made it myself! I thought I might try it out though. I bought the pre-made wonton wrappers, but probably could have made those myself too... So I was wary of how these would taste, but they were amazing! And they even look like 'regular' wontons! I just mixed a pound of ground pork with some green onion, a grated carrot, a couple chopped mushrooms and garlic then spooned it onto the wrapper and folded it up! No salt or any spices! (which was what made me wary of the flavour.) My one pound of pork + veggies made 60 wontons!! I only made 18 last night and froze the rest. I also thought we could just fry them and eat them as appetizers with some kind of sauce. And for the soup part, I just made 6 cups of chicken broth (with bouillon cubes)  and added some broccoli for more colour and veggie! My mouth is watering again! I will have to have leftovers for lunch!!!

2 comments:

  1. Cute baby - I remember her! And I LOVE avocados - yummy! Travis doesn't, though, silly boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cute baby photos. Tony has been dying to make wonton soup, so I think that will be my next food adventure.

    ReplyDelete